JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

I crashed into a parked car in my neighborhood and took my

I crashed into a parked car in my neighborhood and took my car back to my house. I was cited for leaving the scene of an accident. What is my max punishment?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of your experience. South Carolina law provides:

SECTION 56-5-1220. Duties of driver involved in accident resulting in damage to attended vehicles.

(A) The driver of a vehicle involved in an accident resulting only in damage to a vehicle which is driven or attended by a person immediately shall stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident or as close to it as possible, but shall return to and in every event shall remain at the scene of the accident until he has fulfilled the requirements of Section 56-5-1230. However, he may temporarily leave the scene to report the accident to the proper authorities. A person who fails to stop or comply with the requirements of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be imprisoned not more than one year or fined not less than one hundred dollars nor more than five thousand dollars, or both.

(B) If a disabled vehicle or a vehicle involved in an accident resulting only in damage to a vehicle is obstructing traffic, the driver of the vehicle shall make every reasonable effort to move any vehicle that is capable of being driven safely off the roadway as defined by Section 56-5-460 so as not to block the flow of traffic. The driver or any other person who has moved a motor vehicle to facilitate the flow of traffic as provided in this subsection before the arrival of a law enforcement officer shall not be considered liable or at fault regarding the cause of the accident solely by reason of moving the vehicle pursuant to this section.

(C) State and local authorities may erect signs along highways and streets that instruct the public that the driver of a disabled vehicle or a vehicle involved in an accident resulting only in damage to vehicles shall make every reasonable effort to move any vehicle that is capable of being driven off the roadway.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Continue Conversation link.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with a four or a five so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thanks,
~~ J.B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No thanks. No extra info needed.

You are most welcome!

What are your options now?

IF you feel the need to click either

Thanks,
~~ J.B.
I see you rated my answer one of the lower ratings, I would like to help you so if you need anything clarified or need more information please reply as I would be glad to further assist.

I don't want you to leave until you are fully satisfied and you can rate me as such!

Thanks,
~~ J.B.
Hi there. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going.

Did I answer all of your questions or do you seek additional information?

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide to give you excellent service!"

Otherwise, please be sure to provide a rating for the information I provided so that I receive credit for assisting you.

IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE A RATING, or if your rating is negative, then I will not be compensated.

If you experience any problems in providing a positive rating, please reply and let me know.

Thank you!

~~ JB
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not want anymore emails from Justanswer.com and they have already taken pay out of my credit card. I have hired an Attorney. Thanks!!!

Thank you for the follow-up. I appreciate it.

In order for me to receive credit for assisting you, would you please consider providing a rating of 3 or more?

If you are experiencing site difficulties in doing that, could you please reply and let me know?

Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Having site difficulties. It will not provide the rating chart for me to do anything.
Kind thanks for the follow-up. I appreciate it and will let the tech engineers know!
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience: Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.