Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

my son was charged with dui in the state of ct. This is his

Customer Question

my son was charged with dui in the state of ct. This is his 3rd dui the other 2 in the state of N.Y. He served 6 months in N.Y. for the 3rd dui because he violated his probation. Now he is serving one year mandatory and 3 months for a failure to appear. Total 15 months. The charges should run concurrently according to the Judge that sentenced him. He has served 8 months so far. Why can't he be considered for early release program signed by Gov. Malloy in January 2012?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nate replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Be sure to go ahead and bookmark www.nateanswers.com for future questions.

Just to clarify, he is currently serving two sentence, one from Connecticut and one from New York?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no. He has already served his 6 month sentence in N.Y. He is now serving his 15 month sentence in connecticut. He has served 8 months of his 15 month sentence so far.
Expert:  Nate replied 4 years ago.
The early release program allows non-violent offenders to receive up to an extra five days of jail credit per month served. That means he could get out around two months or so early. So, he may be earning those credits, but he would still have some time left to serve, even with the early release credits.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied.  IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces.  If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My son received 12 months mandatory for the dui charge and 3 months for fta charge, hence 15 months to serve. However, the FTA sentence is noted in his minamiss after the 12 month dui sentence. If the minamiss was stated as 3 month FTA and 12 month mandatory for DUI he could be eligiable for early release.Can't we change the minamiss to FTA first and DUI as second? Then he would be eligiable for early release.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry, your previous expert has opted out. Your previous expert was correct regarding the calculation of the time for your son's early release I am afraid. Generally, under the early release program he would receive the 5 days credit for each month served, so he is looking at getting out about 2.5 months early (serving about 12.5 months total), the longest sentence is served first and the shorter second, they do not just change them around. Also, they will look at the whole sentence and all of the time served here and this is where the calculation for good time would take about 75 days off of his total sentence.

PLEASE USE THE REPLY BUTTON IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON EVEN IF THE FEEDBACK SAYS NEED MORE OR HELPED A LITTLE, THIS IS NOT HOW TO GET MORE INFORMATION.

PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “GREAT” SERVICE

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted to use the REPLY button and we are happy to continue working with you to get you all of the information you require.

Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I was able to explain your concern to your satisfaction.

Please click the top THREE POSITIVE FACES so that we can get good feedback for working with you.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”