RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

New York State. What is the exact charge for knowingly providing

New York State. What is the exact charge for knowingly providing false evidence to police that is used in a grand jury. I believe it obstruction of justice but which section?

Thank you for your question today. I appreciate your patience while I responded to you. Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", PLEASE STOP and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

It is indeed obstruction, though the official title of the penal code (Section 195.05) is "Obstructing governmental administration in the second degree." Here is the code:

§ 195.05 Obstructing governmental administration in the second degree.

A person is guilty of obstructing governmental administration when he intentionally obstructs, impairs or perverts the administration of law or other governmental function or prevents or attempts to prevent a public servant from performing an official function, by means of intimidation, physical force or interference, or by means of any independently unlawful act, or by means of interfering, whether or not physical force is involved, with radio, telephone, television or other telecommunications systems owned or operated by the state, or a county, city, town, village, fire district or emergency medical service or by means of releasing a dangerous animal under circumstances evincing the actor’s intent that the animal obstruct governmental administration.

Obstructing governmental administration is a class A misdemeanor.

It's a very broad law -- essentially, any unlawful act which is committed intentionally so as to obstruct the administration of government or allow the government to carry out their duties is considered obstruction. Anything from providing false evidence to refusing to walk through a metal detector at a courthouse could fall under this code.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!