How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JB Umphrey Your Own Question
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 20233
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
JB Umphrey is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my girlfriend is accused of backing into a another vehicle

Customer Question

my girlfriend is accused of backing into a another vehicle in oahu we recieved a notice from the police department. and met with an officer. He said a witness reported she backed into a car and did minor damage and left. I know my girlfriend and she says she didnt hit `anyones car. She has a court date for july 10 she would hire an attorney or just take our chances in court
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of these circumstances. Please clarify: what is the outcome that your girlfriend seeks?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
she would like to see the case dismissed because she says she didnt hit anyone
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. Does she have independent proof to demonstrate that she was not there at the alleged date/time?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
she was in the area at that time i think someone got her plate by mistake or someone is trying to pull a fast one
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. Because this is going to be a contested hearing with the need for testimony and cross-examination of third party witnesses, yes, your girlfriend should hire an attorney to represent her in court.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Continue Conversation link.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with a four or a five so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

~~ J.B.
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Hi there. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going.

Did I answer all of your questions or do you seek additional information?

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide to give you excellent service!"

Otherwise, please be sure to provide a rating for the information I provided so that I receive credit for assisting you.

IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE A RATING, or if your rating is negative, then I will not be compensated.

If you experience any problems in providing a positive rating, please reply and let me know.

Thank you!

~~ JB

Related Criminal Law Questions