Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor

My daughter recently was at a neighbors house and it was raided

My daughter recently was at a neighbors house and it was raided b/c the tenant was under suspicion for a crime. There were no drugs found, but a roach clip and she was dragged into it. She is friend's with his mother and these people just moved in about 2 months ago. The police officers then wanted to search our apartment on the first floor and she gave them permission. She admitted to having a pipe and gave this up and had some residue, she did admit and has not smoked for awhile. They found 1 other pipe and one broken with no residue. She does not buy marijuana and has not smoked in the recently. They did not arrest her and were questioning her about who she knows and where she buys. She does not know this and are now wanting her to go to the police station, they said they would drop the charges for possession of drug paraphanalia if she cooperates with them. I have mixed feedback of what she should do, please advise.. thank you
Do you have a specific question for a legal expert to answer? Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What additional information do you need?..
Your statement of "please advise" was extremely broad. With that in mind, I asked you for a specific question. So, what is your specific question this evening? Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Should she go to police station and answer more questions..? They are looking for more information I don't believe she can answer. She has no names of anyone b/c she does not buy it. If she doesn't do anything, I believe they are going to charge her with paraphernalia and possibly arrest her. I just don't want them to excessively interrogate her and still have charges brought. Also, can they legally do this, i.e. threaten to charge her if sufficient information is not brought forth, she has not been charged with anything yet. Thank you

This situation is actually quite normal, it is a fairly normal occurrence for the police to offer to not charge a person if they will cooperate with them in providing information. If the person has some relevant information, it can be a quick and easy way to resolve the matter.

Having said that, if your daughter truly has no helpful information, then it seems unlikely that she can help herself. In that event, it would seem likely that they may very well end up charging her. I don't mean to be pessimistic, only realistic. On the positive side, the charges are relatively minor and would likely result in only probation and fines.

This can be a complicated matter, please let me know if anything requires clarification.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on a positive rating for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to provide a positive rating. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.