Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

I am being charged with felony class C forgery and felony class

I am being charged with felony class C forgery and felony class D theft, this is my first ever offense, I am a mom of two and wife in Indiana, how much jail time could I be looking at and is it possible to get either one dropped with a pleadeal.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.

Hi

2 to 8 years for the Class C felony

6 months to 3 years for the D felony

You may try to negoiate having the Class C dismissed. And then see if they will place you on a suspended sentence with probation. It also may be possible for you to be placed on a deferred adjudication - which means once you complete the probation successfully, the whole matter would be eligible to be expunged.

I always suggest where there is a possibility of jail time that you consult with a local attorney or the public defender for representation I suggest you never want to chance that you may get a jail sentence.

Please note if you have other questions use the REPLY to EXPERT to Continue the Conversation . Otherwise, please give a positive rating. This will NOT close your question and it will be available for future follow up

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is it common to have felonies reduced to aa suspened sentence, it was a non voilent crime, and what do i need to look for in a attorney there are so many to choose from.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.
Hi

As a non violent crime, it is possible yes. It is rare that prosecutors want to put a non violent criminal in jail, unless they are habitual.

I suggest you will want to contact the Indiana Bar Association and request a criminal defense attorney from a referral service. I suggest you will want to ask about their record for getting deferred adjudication as I explained. That is the best scenario in this matter. Here is the information on the Bar Association for a referral service. (NNN) NNN-NNNN

Thank you
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.