TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in state and federal criminal litigation.
45002201

Hi there, I have 4th degree felony in New Mexico 5 years ago

Hi there, I have 4th degree felony in New Mexico 5 years ago with 3 years probation--All of my probation was completed 1/21/2012 with everything clean as a whistle. Can I apply for consideration to expunge or pardon here? The nature was conspiracy and drug related though I do not associate with that past of my life any longer.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

What were you convicted of?

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Also, how old were you when you were convicted?

Customer:

I was convicted of Offense: Possession with Intent to Distribute and conspiracy. The drug involved is known as ecstasy or methamphetamine.

Customer:

Right now I am 42, I was 38.

Customer:

Hello there,

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Good evening.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Unfortunately, New Mexico statutes do not make an expungement available to a person in your position.

Customer:

Oh.

Customer:

What about a pardon or any other process to seal the records(I am not sure if I am using the correct words)?

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Under NM law, only certain crimes are available for an expungement when a person is convicted.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

You can certainly apply for a pardon, and if you receive one, you will qualify to have the arrest expunged.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Also, with a full pardon, your civil rights, such as the right to vote and possess a firearm are restored.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Below is the information you need to apply for a pardon:

Customer:

Great, thanks that's exactly what I needed and need to know.

Customer:

There is probably a filing fee, right?

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Some states have filing fees. I can't say for sure what they are in New Mexico.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

While I definitely encourage you to apply, you should know that very few pardons a year are actually granted.

Customer:

Okay, that's a very helpful link and I think I am going to try to build my pardon and ask nicely.

Customer:

Is there anything else that could be good in a parXXXXX XXXXXke a letter of recommendation from my boss at work, teacher at NMSU or citizen letter of reference?

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

When you apply, be sure to focus on your rehabilitation and how the felony is adversely effecting you now.

Customer:

Hmm....

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

If they are asking for reference letters, yes those would all be good.

Customer:

I am gainfully employed, 6 months ago, and explained to my employer my rehabilitation, regret, and that I am no longer associated with my past associations. Also, I had my 6 month review with my hiring manager at HP working with computers and everything is fine.

TexCrimLawyer, J.D. :

Those are all important points to make.

Customer:

Thanks I have what I need, I am going to say goodby for now and give you "Excellent Service". Thanks!