Meigs
Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have multiple years experience prosecuting and defending clients.
22589080

What is the penalty for forging a physicians name on a school

What is the penalty for forging a physicians name on a school note in South Carolina? Is it a misdemeanor or felony?

meigs004 :

Hello, how are you today?

Customer:

Good, thanks.

meigs004 :

So you are wondering if forging a doctors name is XXXXX XXXXX?

meigs004 :

If you were charged it would be a misdemeanor.

meigs004 :

However, most of the time those issues are civil matters, and an individual looking to impose penalties against someone for forging their name on a document, would look to filing a civil action for fraud.

Customer:

Yes. My daughter's friend forged my husband's name (a physician) on a school sick note. We found out about it when the school called his office to confirm the sick days.

Customer:
meigs004 :

I understand, you could consult the sheriff's office or police about filing charges against the individual for forging the signature.

meigs004 :

But the answer to your question is that it would be a misdemeanor, if anything.

meigs004 :

Do you have any other questions regarding your situation?

Customer:

That is what we figured, after reviewing the forgery laws in SC. However, we could not find anything specific to physicians. In many states the penalties are greater when forging a physician's name (ie. prescriptions).

meigs004 :

Correct, but there in SC, forgery is a misdemeanor.

meigs004 :

IF this answered your question or confirmed your research please click the smiley :) face, and submit.

meigs004 :

If you have further questions feel free to ask them!

Customer:

No. We really just want to scare the kid, as he has been caught in many lies.

meigs004 :

Right, I would first consult an attorney about sending a letter to the child to inform the child that he he has been caught and what your potential options are, even though you may not decide to do anything.
Also, in that letter you will state that he is to cease and desist from doing it in the future.

Customer: