dkennedy
dkennedy, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  J.D. degree, 15 years practice
5930486

I have a friend who missed his court hearing for a DUI in the

I have a friend who missed his court hearing for a DUI in the state of Pennsylvania, Allegheny county....his was stopped by the police for making a wrong turn, and the warrant for his arrest came up from 2010.....he was taken to jail and appeared before a judge and 3,000 bail was set....his mother got a bail bond and he was released from jail in 36 hours....he has a court date coming up in Allegheny County in Mid July--for this 2010 DUI...he wants to travel to Reno, Nevada over the fourth of July--would he legally be allowed to travel and leave the state before his hearing?? He does have a parole office and his entered by phone number in the "Anytrax" system...
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  dkennedy replied 2 years ago.

dkennedy :

dkennedy :

I would be glad to help you with this, but I need a little more information. Why would your friend have a parole officer? Is he also on parole from something that happened before this DUI? Or is this an officer that he "checks in with" during the time he is out on bail?

Customer:

He wrecked and totaled his car in the Fall of 2010. He was taken to the hospital and released. No other vehicle or person was involved in the accident. His blood level alcohol was very high. He was to appear in court for a DUI, but did not go to his hearing and left state. He returned to Pennsylvania and was driving in Allegheny County where the first DUI occurred, and he made a wrong turn, Because he failed to show for the first court hearing, a warrant was issued for his arrest. When the police recently pulled him over for the wrong turn, the warrant for his arrest came up. He was taken to jail and released in 36 hours....the judge set bail for 3,000 dollars. He has a court hearing in Mid-July and would like to travel to Reno, Nevada before that time. He has a parole officer for this incident only...this is his first DUI offense. He does not have a parole officer for a prior criminal offense. It is all extending from this accident and his failure to appear in court in 2010. The accident occurred Allegheny County, Pittsburgh, Pa. Thank you for your response.

dkennedy :

He would have to get the permission from the parole officer, but if he used a bail bondsman, often they have to know if he is leaving the area as well, and if they find out that he went out of state, they might revoke the bond. So, there's no law against it that I could find, but he needs to get some permission from both those people and I would suggest he gets it in writing.

Customer:

Thank you so much...that was very helpful....truly....

dkennedy, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience: J.D. degree, 15 years practice