How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A long time friend recorded 8 min. Conversation with me and

This answer was rated:

A long time friend recorded 8 min. Conversation with me and playing it to other people. This happened in Illinois. Everybody now i talk to that has heard the conversation is being hurtful to me. What kind a proof do i need and How can I take action against this"friend"?

Illinois is one of the few states (California, Connecticut, Florida, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington being the others) that requires the consent of both parties for the recording of a conversation. Meaning, so long as you believed this to be a private conversation and you did not give consent to record, it would be unlawful for your friend to have made the recording.


With this in mind, you might consider calling the police. You could let them know that this conversation was recorded without your knowledge and consent. If you have any proof of the recording, such as the email or a witness that has heard the recording, it would be helpful to provide law enforcement with that information. They would then investigate the matter and, if appropriate, effectuate an arrest.


Even if the police are unable to make an arrest, my guess is that there mere interaction with this person will convince him to cease his actions. In either event, it would seem likely that this would resolve the matter for you.


Please let me know if anything requires clarification.


I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on a positive rating for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to provide a positive rating. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!


Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Joseph and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions