AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
18048122

If the police ask you to come in voluntarily for questioning,

If the police ask you to come in voluntarily for questioning, can you tell them you will not speak to them or come in until you have secured an attorney to be present?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 4 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer. I am Thoreau and I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you asked your question.
I'm sorry to hear about the investigation. Absolutely, and it's generally wise to avoid talking to the police until an indivdiual has his attorney present. A criminal suspect has no obligation to talk to the police at all. Accordingly, he can refuse to talk to the police entirely, refuse to talk to them without an attorney, etc. If the police ultimately arrest the individual, he still has the right to remain silent and he can demand to have his attorney present for any questioning.
I'm very sorry that you or someone you know is being investigated by law enforcement. I wish you all the best.