AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney

can police come onto private property without a warrant to check to see if you have a burn

can police come onto private property without a warrant to check to see if you have a burn permit and then give a m.i.p and contributing. the fire was a mile up on my ranch in montana
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question. I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you submitted your question.
Yes. Officers don't generally need a warrant to simply walk onto someone's property and inquire about a burn permit. Officers generally only need a warrant for a search - not for an inquiry. So, for example, if officers were looking for an illegal item that you had placed under some sort of security (not simply one in plain site), they would then need a warrant (with a few exceptions). However, if officers simply want to ask if you have a burn permit, there would generally be nothing wrong with officers knocking on your door to do so. If, in doing so, officers discover other violations of the law, they may pursue those as well.