Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney

i need letter to judge first time felony drug charge

Customer Question

i need letter to judge first time felony drug charge.need letter to say how it impacted my family career how it has changed me
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 4 years ago.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Is this for sentencing purposes?

Who do you want the letter to come from?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
this letter is for me i will go to court pleading guilty to 2 charges obtain controlled substance by fraud.i would like it to say how my medical carer is ruined my family torn to pieces {due to other defendent being my brother wife}how i have learned and changed .this is my first time going to court this happen over 4 yrs ago...da and my attorney already agreed on plea i just need to make a speech to judge for probation time

Dear Customer - Unless your attorney specifically told you to write a letter I always believe that it is better to tell the judge in person what you feel. I certainly cannot write a letter for you and the judge would see right through the fact that is wasn't from you and dismiss it as an excuse. Whatever you say has to come from you to be effective. The judge is not an English teacher and is not grading you on presentation. the judge wants to hear from you how you feel and what you believe, not what some attorney says.Whether you get probation is probably not going to depend on what you tell the judge. Most judges order a pre sentence investigation before they impose a sentence and rely heavily on what the probation report says. Basically you need to show remorse for what you did and accept responsibility and not blame others etc. The old excuse of "getting in with the wrong crowd" just doesn't fly in most cases so you need to say you are sorry and that you accept the responsibility for your actions. You can also explain the effect this has had on your family or you may want to have a family member speak on your behalf as well.