JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

Customer Question

If a person other than the custodial legal guardian gives permission for a 15 year old to be mirandized then questioned by a police offer, without informing said guardian, have rights been violated?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

The answer to your question is "no" rights have been violated. This is because the police officer does not need the permission of any parent, guardian, or adult to question a 15-year-old.

The police officer can question the 15-year-old no matter what.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide to give you excellent service!"
Your question has re-appeared on my question list.

Is there anything else that I may assist you with?
Hi [Customer Name],

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did I answer all of your questions?

Let me know,
[Expert Name]