Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

My brother is an inmate at hemptead county jail located in

My brother is an inmate at hemptead county jail located in hope Arkansas and has tried to committed suicide and was rushed to the hospital the police and hospital did not contact me or my father and will not let us see or have contact with him. They deeply dislike him and he suffers from serious mental illness. We need help.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 years ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

The only one that will be able to see him would be his lawyer. I assume he has one, if not get one involved ASAP. If he is not getting the medical attention that he's supposed to in jail, this would be a violation of his rights under the 8th Amendment. A lawyer can see exactly what is going on here, and, if necessary, put the state on notice that his client's right to adequate medical treatment (this includes mental health treatment) is going unaddressed, and bring the matter before the court, if necessary, so that the judge can order what's needed for him.

I understand that you're family and you're concerned, but it's been my experience that all that you will get trying to accomplish this by yourself is a runaround from the bureaucracy. You have no standing in the system. The push here needs to come from his lawyer.