TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed to Practice Law
9373668

I receive a court order or behalf of my employer for wage garnishment

I receive a court order or behalf of my employer for wage garnishment which was against my salary. There was no one else to receive the order except me at that time. I did not turn in the wage garnishment to employer for 2 reasons: the wage garnishment was terminated and I received a termination which was also faxed by the law office/collection agency to the sheriff; and my employer has been out of town within that short period of time. I was informed by the law office/collection agency that the file has been closed at their end as it was fulfilled and the sheriff's office has been notified. Does my employer still have an obligation to respond to the original order even though she never saw it? This all happened within 1 week.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

If the garnishment was terminated and dismissed, then no response is required. But what you did was dangerous because when you received the court order on behalf of your employer, you were acting as your employer's agent. Accordingly, if a response was required but not timely filed, then your employer could be held liable for the amount of the garnishment, and claiming that your employer never received the garnishment notice would have fallen on deaf ears. Your employer would not likely be happy about that. But again, if the garnishment was terminated and dismissed, then no response is required.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will the sheriff still send a notice/order to my employer notifying them of termination of garnishment at this stage even though they did not receive a response from the original order? By the way, no one else was on hand to receive the initial order.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Most likely, there won't be any notice that the garnishment was terminated or dismissed. I can't say it's impossible, but there isn't really a reason to notify the employer, particularly since no response was given.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Licensed to Practice Law