LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
6761470

why is someone that is being charged with "criminal impersonation"

why is someone that is being charged with "criminal impersonation" not being allowed a
public defender by the judge? He has no money.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Can you be more specific about the crime (i.e., code number)? Also, are you sure that he meets the income requirements?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Charge: Criminal Impersonation BM Denied public defender. Was collecting

unemployment from Massachusetts. No longer getting that. No income.

Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®:
I am a licensed attorney and will do my best to provide you an honest and accurate answer to your important legal question.
My goal is to make your experience here highly satisfactory. Toward that end, please keep a few details in mind during our interaction:

1. I am a lousy mind reader. If you do not supply information to me, I do not know it. Please, give me the needed details to work with so I can provide you with the best possible service. Also, if you use the RELIST or BLOCK features, our discussion ends and I may no longer be able to assist. Please, just write back to me, directly, and talk to me.

2. Also, while I make every effort to work in a timely fashion, answering legal questions is not an instantaneous process. I am required to conduct research, interact with multiple customers simultaneously and sometimes take a break. Also, there may be times when I have to sign off for the night or to attend to other obligations. Rest assured, however, I will get back to you.

3. If you have a new legal question, the terms of this site ask that you post it in a separate thread. In other words, please be fair and reasonable. You can direct any future questions to my attention. Just go to my Profile Page, type in the text box "ask Your Question", click the hyperlink that says "15 minutes", and use the drop down menu to select 12 hours.

4. Please remember that many times even attorneys disagree with the law. But, we cannot change it. The answer I give you is based on my years of legal education and professional practice. It may well not be what you were hoping to hear. I will be upfront and direct. I will not mislead you, misstate the law to suit your hopes, or agree just to meet your expectations.

5. If you answer an Information Request and I start working on formulating your answer, it does take some time to draft a quality response. In the meantime, you may receive a message indicating that I am "offline" or "unavailable". This is not the case. These messages are generated automatically without my knowledge or input.

6. Lastly, please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated. Information provided is informational and not legal advice. I am not your attorney. No attorney-client relationship exists between us. Consult legal counsel in your jurisdiction.

QUESTIONS: "why is someone that is being charged with "criminal impersonation" not being allowed a public defender by the judge?"

ANSWER: First of all, I am very sorry to hear of this person's dilemma, and I say that in all candor. This person is fortunate to have you in their corner, and I commend you for caring. Massachusetts employs a dual system of both public defenders and bar advocates (private attorneys). Given the indigence you have described, it makes absolutely zero sense for this type of felony offense. Mass. Gen. Laws. Ann. ch. 266, §37E. I am utterly baffled, but I can say this ruling should be contested. Here is an excellent free resource to contact: American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts.

I truly hope all works out and things soon look brighter. I know this is a lot to take in, so please do not hesitate to write back. After you select "Accept", our conversation need not end. I would be happy to continue our dialog, without further charge, until you are fully satisfied. I promise to check back periodically for any updated posts from you each time I return to this online venue.
Take care and thanks again for choosing JustAnswer®!

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: LawInfoNow. Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This person lives in MA but was extraditied to CT for criminal impersonation on the

internet. Since we live in MA, we are having a hard time contacting him in jail and

do not know CT laws.

Hello again,

Thanks for writing back -- good to hear from you.

You are quite welcome -- my pleasure to be of some service!

I will be glad to comment further -- please see below.

QUESTION: "This person lives in MA but was extraditied to CT for criminal impersonation on the internet."

ANSWER: Thank you for sharing that additional information. Connecticut law is indeed different as follows: Connecticut Code § 53a-130. Clicking on the link provided will take you directly to the applicable statutory text.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Once again, I want to know why he is being disallowed an attorney in CT for this

crime. He has no income now and cannot pay for an attorney. We (his family)

are in MA and do not know how to help him. I know it is ia misdemeanor, but the

courts and jail will not give us further info and there is no communication from

him in jail. He is bipolar and we are at a loss why he is not calling us. Why can't

he have a public defender???????????? A trial date has been set by the court.

Hello again,

QUESTION: "Why can't he have a public defender????????????"

ANSWER: Respectfully, XXXXX XXXXX every sympathy for the situation, I have no earthly idea and share your bewilderment. In other words, I am not the Judge and I am not an attorney handling the case. I am working online to provide legal information. I do not have any means of access to the case file. As to any personal knowledge of the case, though, please realize that obviously I have none. I firmly believe that the right to counsel should be meticulously upheld.

LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.