Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  16 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

My sister had a detective come to her house saying that there

Customer Question

My sister had a detective come to her house saying that there was mail coming to her address in other peoples names fradulent and that there where accounts with her address but different names of people who he claimed where pressing charges but he didn't give her or ask.
He didn't say who the charges where for
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for using JA. I have read your statements above.
.
What is your legal question so I can assist?
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting or interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

.
Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time. Some answers take 5 minutes, some 35 minutes, depending on the level of complexity. But rest assured, I will get back with you as soon as I am able.

.

If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.

.

Please be aware that I am not entering into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. With that in mind, please do not post any specific information you do not want available for public viewing. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can a detective come to your house or any other persons house without having something saying that it was actually you sending whatever they say has happened with something. I believe my sister said they said something dealing with fraud. We just moved back in after being gone from there for about 2 years. Not sure who was using the address while we where gone. The detective left a card with her for someone to call him. Should I call him or should a contact a lawyer first?
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 years ago.
Yes, as part of an ongoing investigation, the detective can visit the person being investigated to see if they can gather any evidence or get any more information.
.
At this point, if she has done nothing wrong, she wouldn't need an attorney. If she has, then she should retain an attorney before responding to the police so she doesn't get tripped up and incriminate herself.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.

.