Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I have received a criminal tresspassing charge in a housing

I have received a criminal tresspassing charge in a housing project in Connecticut. A little less than a year ago, I was charged with possession of a class A controlled substance. I completed the CT Drug Education Program. What can I expect to happen with this tresspassing charge? Do I need a lawyer? Will I be able to pay a fine, or will there be probation or time?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 years ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

If you completed the drug education program, your case was dismissed.

Chances are, since you were found in a housing project, they would charge you with theh B misdemeanor. (See link). You'd be looking at nothing worse than probation for simply being there. But you don't want to come out of this with a criminal record if you don't have to, and you can't get diversion again.

So get a lawyer and have him with you on your first court date or if that's not economically possible then plead not guilty and ask the judge to assign you a public attorney. A lawyer should be able to negotiate this down to a simple trespass, which is only a violation and not a crime. (See link) In that way, you can still say that you've never been convicted of a crime. On the violation, you're probably looking at a fine or community service.