JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

I am a resident of Hawaii and received a traffic ticket in

I am a resident of Hawaii and received a traffic ticket in XXX XXXXX. I posted bail and indicated that I wanted to contest the ticket. I was given an extension to 19 June 2012. I checked online today by driver's license number and the status is "case closed". I was unable to retrieve any information using the citation number. Is "case closed" the same as dismissed? My bail has not been refunded. Aloha Tom XXXXXlXXX@XXXXXX.XXX Hawaii driver's license XXXXXXXX citation XXXXXX
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

Case closed does not automatically mean that the citation was dismissed. So, do not make that assumption.

A dismissal is a possibility. However, it's possible that they simply applied your bond to the offense and closed the file. Under that situation, you would not receive a return of your bond.

To be absolutely certain, you will need to telephone the court tomorrow to confirm.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I expected that "case closed" is not the same as dismissed.

If they have closed the case without refunding the bail when I contested the ticket, then I would assume that I have been found guilty of the violation without the opportunity to present a defense and have been denied due process.

I have tried many times to telephone the court, (XXX) XXX-XXXX, but it is an automated system which does not answer my questions and either returns me to the menu or hangs up. The courts do not have telephone people "due to severe budget cuts".

Is there any other telephone number for the courts where a person will answer my questions regarding the status of the ticket.

Aloha

tp

You can contact the office of the Administrative Director of the Courts for California at(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I 'll try that number tomorrow.

Aloha

tp

Excellent. Have a great day!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

more information:

Traffic Citation

Citation Number:
XXXXXXX
Law Enforcement Agency:
XXXXXXXXX Police Department
Name: THOMAS XXXXX XXXXX
Court: Metropolitan Courthouse
XXXXXXX, CA 90007
(XXX) XXX-XXXX
Violation Date: 03/05/2012
Initial Due Date: 04/19/2012
Case Status: Case Closed
Disposition: Bail forfeiture on 04/09/2012
Last Action: Extension
Last Action/
New Appearance Date:
06/19/2012

This citation is not eligible for any online transaction.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

more information, this website info was not available earlier

Traffic Citation

Citation Number:
B6XXXXXXXX
Law Enforcement Agency:
XXXXXX Police Department
Name: THOMAS XXXXXX XXXXX
Court: Metropolitan Courthouse
XXXXX XXXXXX, CA 90007
(XXX) XXXXX-1href="http://
Violation Date: 03/05/2012
Initial Due Date: 04/19/2012
Case Status: Case Closed
Last Action: Extension
Last Action/
New Appearance Date:
06/19/2012

XXXXXXXXXX

It appears that they have taken the bail that I posted to contest the ticket and closed, without the opportunity to defend myself in court

I'll try the telephone tomorrow but...

Aloha

tp

Indeed and do not be afraid to follow up in WRITING to them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good morning JB

I have called the number you gave me for the administrative director and he is out of the office until 06 June. The operator at that number gave me another number to call XXXXXXXXXX. That is the administrator's office for the metropolitan court house.

I called that number and was told:

closed is not the same as dismissed

the judge has found me guilty and my bail has been forfeited

the case has been reopened and I have been sent a letter dated 24 May 2012 requiring me to appear 25 July 2012

I have not received a letter from the court regarding reopening or another appearance date. I have come to California from my residence in Hawaii in regard to the appearance date of 19 June 2012. My return date is 23 June 2012

I was told that I could go to the clerk's office and request another date but that there are often long lines and the waiting period is usually several hours.

I will be writing another letter to the court stating the events and requesting a dismissal or an appearance date in January or February of next year when I next plan to return to California.

Aloha

tp

Excellent progress! It's awesome that you were able to get a reversal of the bond forfeiture and a new court date. Well done!
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience: Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good morning JB I clicked on the "reply to expert" link, but it did not work for me. Your anserwers have been satisfactory and helpful. I've sent another letter to the court and am awaiting a reply from them before I'm finished with your help. Here is a copy of the letter I sent.

Superior Court
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX, CA 90007

Dear sirs:

I was given a NOTICE TO APPEAR, B61202. I have posted bail, contested the citation, and was notified that the case was continued to 19 June 2012.

I have come to California from my residence in Hawaii in response to this appearance date. However it appears from the information online that the case has been closed. I have called the phone number listed on the NOTICE TO APPEAR, but was unable to talk to a person, was referred back to the main menu several times, and calls were terminated.

I consulted an attorney. It was suggested that I call(NNN) NNN-NNNN The court administrator at that number told me that the judge had found me guilty and my bail was forfeited. I have not been afforded the opportunity to defend myself.

I was also told that the case had been reopened and in their letter, dated 24 May 2012, a new appearance date had been set for 25 July 2012. I have not received this alleged letter. The current information online contradicts this and indicates the status is closed.

I have a scheduled return to my residence in Hawaii for 23 June 2012. I was told that I could request an earlier date in person at the clerk's office, but that the waiting line was usually several hours and that it might not be granted.

I request that this be dismissed or that I be given an appearance date in late January of 2013 when I next plan to return to California.

Sincerely
Thomas S Powell

Great! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you !
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I accept your answer and am satisfied with it, but this matter is not resolved yet and I would like to continue with your help. I have chosen "Reply to Expert"

Should I click "Accept Answer" and and attempt contact later?

Do I owe you money now?

Aloha

tp

You're all set as of this time.

When you wanted to follow-up, just post a new thread/question and be sure to list me at the start (e.g., for JB Umphrey..........).