LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience
15277592

I applied for a concealed carry permit in NH, the police department

I applied for a concealed carry permit in NH, the police department called a said I was AWOL while in the Army . (1969 Colorado) and it was considered a class 5 felony, they had to check if that was reason to deny a permit.
Is it?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of the situation.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Any federal felony conviction---regardless of the degree, prevents the person so convicted of firearm or ammunition possession for life. And unlike some states, the feds have no avenue to regain your rights through an expungement.

You will never be able to possess a firearm again. If you do and you and you are caught---it is a federal felony with a 5 year imprisonment term on conviction.

I wish you the best in 2012.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation, nor was it what I sensed you were hoping to hear. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

Would you be kind enough to rate my answer based on the knowledge I have provided to you, and accept that I was obligated to be truthful, even if the answer was not good news for you.

Thank you,

Doug
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I already own guns. I applied for a concealed carry permit, my ? was is that reason to deny the permit?

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
With all respect intended, I fully understood your question. I was trying to explain that possession a firearm by you, if you have a federal felony conviction is illegal!---a federal felony. You can go to federal prison just for possessing a firearm. Of course, you are going to be denied a conceal carry license.

I'm not anti-gun---I have a conceal carry license myself. I just hate to see folks do 5 hard for possession. Do yourself a favor---confirm what I tell you with your local criminal defense attorney, if you must, and get rid of the guns and ammo.

I wish you the best in 2012.

Thank you,

Doug
LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience: 30 years legal experience