AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
18048122

HI I HAVE A FRIEND THAT I THINK IS A RAT. HOW DO I FIND OU

Customer Question

HI I HAVE A FRIEND THAT I THINK IS A RAT. HOW DO I FIND OUT
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question. I am sending this message to you only a few minutes after you submitted your question.
Exactly what is it that you're trying to find out?
Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
im trying to find out if hes a snitch if he sets people up for the law
Thank you for your response.

So, basically, you want to find out if he's an informant for law enforcement officers. Is that correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes

Thank you for your message.

That's a difficult matter. The unfortunate truth is that you probably won't be able to find out. Law enforcement doesn't disclose information about its informants for a variety of reasons. Some of them are that it would: 1. dissuade people from helping the police; 2. place informants in danger; 3. jeopardize the effectiveness of informants. The only people who would know about an informant would be the informant himself and law enforcement officers, and none of those are going to be obligated or willing to tell you.
With matters like that, an individual has to use logic to make a determination. Taking any action to impede a law enforcement investigation can potentially expose someone to criminal charges and additional dangers. Therefore, when someone things he knows an informant, the smartest thing to do would be to avoid committing crimes in the future and avoid interacting with people she can't trust.