JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

My 19 year daughter was charged and convicted with misdemeanor

My 19 year daughter was charged and convicted with misdemeanor battery about a year ago. She was sentenced to 30 days jail (served 20), 3 years informal probation and a class once a week for a year, along with some fees and fines. When released from jail, she did go to a few classes, but not enough, so when her court review came up after 3 months, the judge gave her another chance and sentenced her a 30 day SUSPENDED sentence. Well, on her next review (another 3 months later), she failed to appear (I assume because she didn't comply again and knew she had jail time over her head). She now has a warrant with $15k bail amount. She has moved out of the County, I don't have her address.

Question: She would like to come visit and stay with me on some weekends. If I allow that, does that mean I'm harboring a fugitive because I have knowledge of the warrant? Can I get in trouble for that if she was somehow found at my home? I have repeatedly tried to talk her into turning herself in and just getting the jail time over with, but she won't. What's a mother to do, I miss her.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of these circumstances. You have asked two different types of questions: legal and parenting. The answers will not compliment each other.

Are you sure that you want each type answered?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry for the confusion, I'm really want the answer to the legal question, but sure wouldn't mind some parenting advice.
I understand how tough it is as a mom. If you want to show her tough love, then you tell her that she cannot come back into your home until she takes care of her business. Period. You tell her that you raised your children to be responsible and you will not allow her to come back into your home and disrespect you by coming back with unfinished business that can result in the police paying a visit.

When she's taken care of her business, then she's welcome home.

Do with that advice was you wish.

As for the legal aspect, you will not get in trouble if she's found at your home. If she's there and police come, let them in! Let them arrest her and get her business cleaned up.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide to give you excellent service!"