Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
11217539

Twenty years ago I was convicted of a misdemeanor domestic

Twenty years ago I was convicted of a misdemeanor domestic violence in California. I now live in Nevada. I want to purchase a firearm for home defense. I was told by the gun shop that I will never legally be able to own one. Can I have the record expunged or sealed? Do I have any recourse. I have never been in trouble since. I am a school teacher and just want to feel safer at home.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nate replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Be sure to go ahead and bookmark www.nateanswers.com for future questions.

Unfortunately, that is now a federal law. Anyone convicted of a domestic violence offense of any type permanently loses their gun rights. As well, California does not truly have an expungement statute, which would help you if it existed. The gun store owner is correct. Until the law changes, you will not be able to possess a firearm.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does this apply to a taser?
Expert:  Nate replied 4 years ago.
No. Tasers are still okay.