Juliana
Juliana, Lawyer
Experience:  Former prosecutor with 4 years of experience, criminal justice degree
17008935

My son was arrested for Underage drinking, disorderly conduct

My son was arrested for Underage drinking, disorderly conduct and minor assult on a policemen @ Bloom U. When we appeared in court with our lawyer all charges were dropped and the case was thrown out. Will this be on his record? He graduated this spring and is now looking for a job.

Thank You,
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Juliana replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

In what state did these charges occur? Was he arrested by the campus police, or by another law enforcement agency?

Thanks,

Juliana

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the arrest occured on the Campus of Bloomsburgh University. located in Bloomsburgh, PA
The arresting officer was a college police officer. He was taken to the local prison and I had to bail him out the next day. As mentiond all charges were dropped and case was thrown out of court. The arresting officer was in court that day. Not sure if that info is shared with the Bloomsburgh police. I think he was taken there prior to being moved to the prision. We live in Ramsey, NJ will this be on his record when applying for jobs?
Expert:  Juliana replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I am licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania, and I will be happy to assist you.

Arrests made by campus police officers will go on an individual's criminal record, just as if the arrest had been made by the state police or any other law enforcement agency. With the Pennsylvania Unified Judicial System, criminal records in that state are available online for anyone to search and find, including prospective employers.

Pennsylvania law allows criminal records (including arrest records) to be expunged in certain circumstances. Since your son's criminal charges were dismissed, he would be eligible to have the records of his arrest expunged. The motion for expungement would have to be filed in the county in which his arrest occurred, along with the necessary filing fees. The case would be set for a hearing in which the judge would determine whether or not to grant the expungement.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Juliana