Stevexo, Criminal Attorney
Experience:  Thirty years Criminal Defense

Customer Question

I got a DUI in Wyoming and it's my first offense. At the jail they said I wouldn't have to worry about losing my license and that I would be able to get a deffered judgment, and only have a fine, what is actually going to happen because I went to get a new drivers license and they said I would still be suspended for 90 days???
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Stevexo replied 4 years ago.
Steven T Greene Esq. Qualified as an expert in Criminal Law,30 years of Criminal Defense trial work. Dear Sir, I would not take my legal advice from the jail, because non of it seems correct. Firstly most states do not allow a deferred sentence on a DUI or even a withhold of adjudication on one. What you might not be aware of is that you are looking at both the court proceeding which is trying to convict you of the DUI and the states bureau of motor vehicles which in addition to the court will impose administrative suspensions on your license that is not dependent on a conviction in the criminal case. A .13 is not a low blood alcohol level nor is it a really high one, but it is not borderline as it is .05 greater than the statutory presumption for DUI. I really think you should talk to a local atty asap as I do not believe you are looking at a deferral and the reading is high enough to not only cause you an administrative suspension of your license but also a court imposed suspension. I am not saying that you might not be able to beat this case with a fight, but for you to assume no suspension and a deferral on a DUI like this is not realistic. Sincerely, Steve
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ya I want my money back