Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law

Me and my husband was arrested for hindering apprehension,

Customer Question

Me and my husband was arrested for hindering apprehension, its my first offense and I'm 45 years old my husband however has had other things when he was young... What are we looking? We are in Houston Texas- Harris County
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 2 years ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

The statute which you were charged under is listed below. Depending on the facts, it could be filed as a misdemeanor or a felony. As a first time offender, you are likely looking at a sentence that includes probation. Unless the facts are severe, the State should not seek any jail or prison, based on your clean record. Thank you for allowing me to answer your question. If you do not have anything further, please click the accept/submit button, so I can get credit for my help and time.

§ 38.05. HINDERING APPREHENSION OR PROSECUTION. (a) A
person commits an offense if, with intent to hinder the arrest,
prosecution, conviction, or punishment of another for an offense
or, with intent to hinder the arrest, detention, adjudication, or
disposition of a child for engaging in delinquent conduct that
violates a penal law of the state, or with intent to hinder the
arrest of another under the authority of a warrant or capias, he:
(1) harbors or conceals the other;
(2) provides or aids in providing the other with any
means of avoiding arrest or effecting escape; or
(3) warns the other of impending discovery or
apprehension.
(b) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (a)(3)
that the warning was given in connection with an effort to bring
another into compliance with the law.
(c) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor,
except that the offense is a felony of the third degree if the
person who is harbored, concealed, provided with a means of
avoiding arrest or effecting escape, or warned of discovery or
apprehension is under arrest for, charged with, or convicted of a
felony, or is in custody or detention for, is alleged in a petition
to have engaged in, or has been adjudicated as having engaged in
delinquent conduct that violates a penal law of the grade of felony,
and the person charged under this section knew that the person they
harbored, concealed, provided with a means of avoiding arrest or
effecting escape, or warned of discovery or apprehension is under
arrest for, charged with, or convicted of a felony, or is in custody
or detention for, is alleged in a petition to have engaged in, or
has been adjudicated as having engaged in delinquent conduct that
violates a penal law of the grade of felony.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not satisfied with this answer......There was no mention of what my husband might be looking at,( jail time etc.) with his record when he was young and now he is 42 and hasn't been in trouble with the law, except for traffic tickets, also hindering apprehension of our son, who had a warrant for his arrest for 2 counts of aggravated sexual assault? I would like to know what we are both looking at? Whats the things that could happen or might happen.. Could it be dismissed, or dropped? And We Are In Texas..... Houston Harris County To Be Exact....
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 2 years ago.
Agg. sexual assault is a felony, and therefore, a person hindering the apprehension of a person convicted of a felony would be committing a third degree felony themselves if they knew the person committed the act. The penalty range for a third degree felony in texas is listed below:

§ 12.34. THIRD DEGREE FELONY PUNISHMENT.
(a) An individual adjudged guilty of a felony of the third degree shall be punished by imprisonment in the institutional division for any term of not more than 10 years or less than 2 years.
(b) In addition to imprisonment, an individual adjudged guilty of a felony of the third degree may be punished by a fine not to exceed $10,000.

The actual charges brought and penalty instituted will depend on how the DA wants to pursue the action. A DA can decide to bring a lesser charge or drop the case entirely...The DA has wide discretion to pursue the action how they see fit.
If the charge is reduced to a Class A misdemeanor, then the possible punishment would be:

§ 12.21. CLASS A MISDEMEANOR.
An individual adjudged guilty of a Class A misdemeanor shall be punished by:
(1) a fine not to exceed $4,000;
(2) confinement in jail for a term not to exceed one year; or
(3) both such fine and confinement.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im not understanding what you are saying can you please explain better to me? Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What are me and my husband looking at?

Please put it simple, I dont have a law degree and I would like to understand what you are saying to me....
People in your situation could potentially face up to 10 years in prison, however, an exact punishment will depend on the DA's judgment of the situation.

You should consider hiring an attorney to help you deal with this situation and protect you from any possible jail time. They will be able to negotiate on your behalf with the DA in order to have any potential punishment reduced or the charge thrown out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I appreciate your answer but do you know of any cases to possible give me and idea of what me and my husband is looking at, for example what has actually happened?

And we are trying to find lawyers now as we speak that will handle our cases but we want lawyers that know what they are doing and will fight for us, to keep us out of jail period....

And suggestions?
Unfortunately on this website, it is against policy to provide recommendations to any specific lawyers. I am sorry for the inconvenience that this may cause but it is designed to prevent lawyers from recommending themselves through this service.
Here are some Texas court cases dealing with "hindering appr ehension:

http://www.cca.courts.state.tx.us/OPINIONS/HTMLOPINIONINFO.ASP?OPINIONID=15122

http://www.9thcoa.courts.state.tx.us/opinions/HTMLopinion.asp?OpinionId=8292&redir=1

http://www.cca.courts.state.tx.us/OPINIONS/HTMLOPINIONINFO.ASP?OPINIONID=18553