JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

I was arrested for having someone in my car that had possesion

I was arrested for having someone in my car that had possesion of marijuana back in 2010 and went to court. I plead nolo contendere and asked to be placed on conditional discharge under the georgia's first time offender act, i paid all my court fees and what the fees were for the charge of possession of marijuna less then one ounce, but i havent been able to pay my probabtion for 6 months because im currently in afghanistan and the work i do and the base im at have strict communication rules and we dont have comms just email, ive told the court this prior to me leaving to come back to afghanistan last year after my court date which was in may 2011i have tried numerous of times to reasch out to the probation officer to check in monthly and pay my fees but i only got the voice mail, i had a family memeber pay what i owed for last year in hopes i would be able to talk to my P/O but i have not had any luck now a letter was sent to my house saying (dont quote me) i am to appear in court for failure to report for probation, what steps should i take when approaching this situation and if possible would an option of trying to get this esponged be possible.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of your experience. Please clarify: are you back in Georgia right now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i will be back in georgia next week
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. How much do you still owe?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about $500
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Will you have it paid off when you appear in court?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes i will contact them tommorw soon as our phone communications are repaired and send payment prior to me departing afghanistan
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
What else were you supposed to do other than pay off your fines and costs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Call in once a month

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Then you need to arrive at court neatly dressed, be polite to everyone, have your fines paid off in full, and never stop apologizing to the judge so that hopefully he lets you walk away after a stern lecture.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied and select the Happy Smiley Face. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have other questions on different matters, you can ask me at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-jb-umphrey/. Or there are also other Experts ready to assist you in a range of Legal specialties, Veterinary, Cars and others – you can reach them via the www.justanswer.com homepage.
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience: Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.