JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

Orange county sheriff coroner office was looking for my friend

Orange county sheriff coroner office was looking for my friend while he was away at work. They left a case number XXXXX his roommate and asked him to contact them by 5/7. My friend is not aware of this and is not in any lawsuit. What should he do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

Unless your friend committed a crime, your friend should call the coroner's office and see what it is that they want.

If your friend committed a crime, then there's no need for him to call them because he has a Fifth Amendment right to remain silent.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied and select the Happy Smiley Face. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you have other questions on different matters, you can ask me at Or there are also other Experts ready to assist you in a range of Legal specialties, Veterinary, Cars and others – you can reach them via the homepage.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When the case is issued from coroner office, does it mean death involve? If he contacted them and they said he committed a crime, then he should hire a lawyer, correct?
Yes, the coroner's office handles death matters.

If he is a suspect in someone's death, yes, he should hire an attorney.