Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I was recently arrested for DUI and possession of marijuana.

Customer Question

I was recently arrested for DUI and possession of marijuana. I just remembered that I offered the officer 1700.00 if he let me go home. I just realised that may constitue bribing a police officer. However my arrest papers only say for possession and dui. Will more charges come up later? it was in front of his dashcam
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Criminal Law litigation attorney here to assist you.

It is possible additional charges can be filed. However, if you were under the influence at the time you made the offer, you should have a legitimate defense that the statements were made when your mental state was altered from the alcohol, and that you should not be held liable for an offer made while you were intoxicated.

This is probably why you weren't charged with this in the first place.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you know if the prosecutor reviews all the tapes from a dui before negotiations or trial?
Also how likekly is it that more charges can be filed? Especially considering that the officer never reported it on the arrest charges
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

I have been a prosecutor for 10 years, and I do not review all tapes. In fact, the only tapes I review are when there is no other evidence or proof of the offense. Thus it is not likely that prosecutor will review the tapes.

It is not likely that more charges will be filed. If they were going to charge you, it is most likely that this would have happened when the initial charges were filed against you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Last question. when I was in jail, I got a little sloppy and admitted to another jailer in a conversation that I had weed in the car, and had two drinks. I did fail the breath test as well. Do you know if jails have audio in those cameras?
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.
Most surveillance cameras have no sound. However, there's no way for me to tell you whether or not the ones at the facility you were held did or not.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. I
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.
Sure. Good luck.