Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

My boyfriend of 8 years has a very hard case, he has long history

Customer Question

My boyfriend of 8 years has a very hard case, he has long history with law,,,before 4-26-2012 he only had 2 HS11377(A)
in 2000 and 2001
this would be his third in 2006 he did a one year sentence for hit and run so they added PC667.5(B) today in court. He did a not guilty plea today because the family and I had taken him to the Behavorial hospital hoping that he would get help for his drug problem, they dignoised him with a condition and needs medication, the sad part about all this is that a family member had to call the police when he was useing at a public place he does not know that, we also need to know if the police said that a family memeber made the call and that person also took the drugs away from the location and the police picked it up,,, the family member made it very clear to the police that he needs his meds and needs help not jail,,,,, he needs long term help,,,, can he fight or is he too late,,,,he wants me to take the hospital papers to the court appointed public defender, please help he wants to know who gave the police the bottle of PCP because he recalls them not finding anything untill after they picked it up , please help me help my loved one.....
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
I am afraid that the courts are not much on rehabilitation and while your friend needs help obviously, the court does not have to grant him that treatment other than in prison, especially if they sentence him under the 3 strikes law. The fact that he is in rehab can be helpful to his case and can help the public defender work to make a deal for your friend for court ordered in patient rehab, but again, for someone with an extensive record this is very tough. You have no duty to disclose who gave the police the drugs they took from him, this is for the police to testify to where they confiscated those drugs. Of course, if the family member does not show up to testify, there is no chain of custody and the case can get dismissed as well as long as the prosecutor does not get angry and decide to send the police to pick up the family member to force them to testify (Since failure to honor a subpoena is contempt of court). These are multiple factors going on in his case that his public defender will need to deal with.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer OR the HAPPY SMILEY FACE. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”