Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
18539850

hi joesph how can i go about getting a safe back that

hi joesph how can i go about getting a safe back that was taken during an arrest warrant
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.

Has the case been closed out?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no

Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.

What charges were filed? Is the safe related to the criminal allegations?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
possession with intent and i do not know
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.

Were the drugs in the safe?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no

Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.

You might want to wait for the case to be completely closed out as you would have a higher probability of success when all charges are resolved. However, if you want to pursue the matter at this time, you might begin by simply calling the police department, specifically the arresting officer. As the safe appears to be unrelated to any criminal charges, the officer may be willing to release it at this time.

If that fails, you might consider filing a motion with the court. You could file a motion for return of property arguing that the safe was seized as a part of the execution of the search warrant but, as it is not relevant to any pending criminal charges, it should be returned. If the judge agrees, he may order the police department to return the safe.

Please let me know if you need any clarification.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.