Meigs
Meigs, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have multiple years experience prosecuting and defending clients.
22589080

HI, I was in Fargo the weekend of April 27th to the 29th

Customer Question

HI,

I was in Fargo the weekend of April 27th to the 29th and recieved a DUI, I am a Canadian resident who has a court date for May 23rd and I was wondering what steps I should take and how this will affect my canadian drivers licence. Also if you can recommend a Fargo lawyer to represent me. Do I have to be present at the court date and if someone represents me does my husband lose the bond he posted? your advice would be greatly appreciated. if my licence is revolked when/if can I apply for a work permit?

Toni
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Meigs replied 2 years ago.

meigs004 :

Hello, how are you?

Customer :

stressed

meigs004 :

I understand.

Customer :

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Customer :

I'm assuming that you are a lawyer?

meigs004 :

I am a lawyer, and I am an expert in Criminal Defense.

meigs004 :

Give me just a moment.

meigs004 :

Ok, first, I can not advise you on the effect of the DUI charge on your Canadian driver's license, I am only qualified to give you legal information on the United States portion of the charge.

meigs004 :

What is your May 23rd court date for?

meigs004 :

Is it your trial date, a hearing of some sort?

meigs004 :

How many prior US dui's do you have?

Customer :

Ok, my alcohol level was .13, if this means anything. I will look at my paperwork, i assumed it was to face the charge and I haven't ever had a dui.

Customer :

it just says that I am to appear in court on that date, in west fargo court.

meigs004 :

Ok.

meigs004 :

Is this your first offense?

Customer :

should i get a lawyer in canada as well?

Customer :

yes this is my first offence.

meigs004 :

I would recommend always consulting an attorney obviously, but I do not see how this offense can transfer across international borders and effect your license.

Customer :

there isn't notification to canada?

Customer :

?reciprocal offence?

meigs004 :

I would appear in court if feasible. If it is your first it is probably your trial date. You will need to retain an attorney to represent you at the trial if you can afford one.

meigs004 :

Additionally, if someone represents you at the trial, your husband will not lose the bond, only if you do not show up for the court date.

meigs004 :

A bond is to secure your appearance, and a no show will preclude you from recovering that money.

Customer :

so as long as a lawyer puts in plea then I don't have to attend? does it look better if I'm there? They have my breathalyzer which seems pretty irrifutable evidence?

meigs004 :

It usually is, unfortunately. However, if you have not entered your plea you will have to and if you could be present that probably would be beneficial.

Customer :

if I do attend the court date and they take my licence I'm assuming I'll need someone to drive home?

Customer :

can you reccommend a lawyer in the West Fargo area?

Customer :

do you have any more advice?

meigs004 :

I can not, I actually cant pursuant to the terms of this service, but I would recommend you find a criminal attorney who specializes in DUI.

Customer :

thank you

meigs004 :

You are welcome, do you have any other questions?

Customer :

yes but I guess I'd better talk to someone here.

Customer :

thanks again

meigs004 :

If not please click the accept button.

meigs004 :

Good Luck!

meigs004 :

If you do not have any other questions PLEASE click the accept button.