Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
11217539

If I pled nolo contendere to a misdemeanor charge in Virginia that was eventually dismisse

If I pled nolo contendere to a misdemeanor charge in Virginia that was eventually dismissed following completion of license suspenditure and I have an otherwise clean record, am I eligible for expungement? And if the record is expunged, can I legally claim that I have never been arrested/charged with a crime (e.g. on a medical school application)?
Thank you for your question. Be sure to go ahead and bookmark www.nateanswers.com for future questions.

If it was indeed dismissed, the charge can expunged under Virginia law. The court clerk would have the necessary form to fill out and submit. Once it is expunged, you have no duty to ever disclose that the incident ever occurred.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where can I verify that legally, "Once it is expunged, you have no duty to ever disclose that the incident ever occurred"?
Virginia Code § 19.2-392.4 controls. Here it is for your reference:

Prohibited practices by employers, educational institutions, agencies, etc., of state and local gov...

A. An employer or educational institution shall not, in any application, interview, or otherwise, require an applicant for employment or admission to disclose information concerning any arrest or criminal charge against him that has been expunged. An applicant need not, in answer to any question concerning any arrest or criminal charge that has not resulted in a conviction, include a reference to or information concerning arrests or charges that have been expunged.

B. Agencies, officials, and employees of the state and local governments shall not, in any application, interview, or otherwise, require an applicant for a license, permit, registration, or governmental service to disclose information concerning any arrest or criminal charge against him that has been expunged. An applicant need not, in answer to any question concerning any arrest or criminal charge that has not resulted in a conviction, include a reference to or information concerning charges that have been expunged. Such an application may not be denied solely because of the applicant's refusal to disclose information concerning any arrest or criminal charge against him that has been expunged.

C. A person who willfully violates this section is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor for each violation.