JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

I was accused of stealing 300 dollars at my former employer,

I was accused of stealing 300 dollars at my former employer, was questioned by the company's internal investigators, was terminated because I stated I get the money back, but never said I took it. 6 months have passed, was contacted only once by local police. Company now stating they want to criminally charge me. Is that possible?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of these circumstances. The answer to your question is "yes" it is possible because, in Minnesota, there's a three-year statute of limitations to file charges.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied and select the Happy Smiley Face. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you have other questions on different matters, you can ask me at Or there are also other Experts ready to assist you in a range of Legal specialties, Veterinary, Cars and others – you can reach them via the homepage.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

that makes sense, but wouldn't the local police have brought the case to the district attorney by now? This all happened late October of 2011. When the police left a message for to come down to the station and give "my side of the story" and stated if I didn't they would still file the case to the district attorney. I never went to the police station to give a statement and never heard back anything. Am I correct in assuming that the district attorney never went ahead with anything? Would I have been contacted either way?

Each police agency and prosecutor operates differently and they have different constraints. I would never pretend to speculate what they're up to or why. If charges were going to be filed, yes, you'd be notified.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX say different constraints, what does that mean? And what are the possible methods of being notified? Such as certified letter? Police coming to my house and arresting me? Any possible answer would be great

It means that they could have a manpower shortage, a backup in investigations, or their resources and time were focused on a bigger case and your filed took a back burner.

They could call you, write you, pay a personal visit.