Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®:
I am a licensed attorney and will do my best to provide you an honest and accurate answer to your important legal question.
My goal is to make your experience here highly satisfactory. Toward that end, please keep a few details in mind during our interaction:
1. I am a lousy mind reader. If you do not supply information to me, I do not know it. Please, give me the needed details to work with so I can provide you with the best possible service. Also, if you use the RELIST or BLOCK features, our discussion ends and I may no longer be able to assist. Please, just write back to me, directly, and talk to me.
2. Also, while I make every effort to work in a timely fashion, answering legal questions is not an instantaneous process. I am required to conduct research, interact with multiple customers simultaneously and sometimes take a break. Also, there may be times when I have to sign off for the night or to attend to other obligations. Rest assured, however, I will get back to you.
3. If you have a new legal question, the terms of this site ask that you post it in a separate thread. In other words, please be fair and reasonable. You can direct any future questions to my attention. Just go to my Profile Page, type in the text box "ask Your Question", click the hyperlink that says "15 minutes", and use the drop down menu to select 12 hours.
4. Please remember that many times even attorneys disagree with the law. But, we cannot change it. The answer I give you is based on my years of legal education and professional practice. It may well not be what you were hoping to hear. I will be upfront and direct. I will not mislead you, misstate the law to suit your hopes, or agree just to meet your expectations.
5. If you answer an Information Request and I start working on formulating your answer, it does take some time to draft a quality response. In the meantime, you may receive a message indicating that I am "offline" or "unavailable". This is not the case. These messages are generated automatically without my knowledge or input.
6. Lastly, please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated. Information provided is informational and not legal advice. I am not your attorney. No attorney-client relationship exists between us. Consult legal counsel in your jurisdiction.
QUESTION: "Any ideas?"
ANSWER: Yes. First of all, please allow me to say that I am genuinely sorry for this painful chapter in your family's life. Also, some of the following comments may sound rather discouraging, but I am speaking plainly rather than doing you the disservice of misleading you. I believe every word you related about your husband's mental issues. However, I do not think any of that will be particularly helpful at all in his defense. Here is how this works. Modern law imposes a rather high standard when it comes to trying to raise such an affirmative defense. Also, even if both of the complainants try to retract their reports, I do not see the case against your husband disappearing entirely. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that the conduct you have described by your husband against your daughter is a very serious matter. At least potentially, she could have been left permanently damaged, so it is imperative that your husband be afforded effective representation and assistance of counsel. Toward that end, if for some reason your husband has not done so, his absolutely imperative number one priority is to speak with a local criminal defense attorney now. He could schedule a consultation right now for a very modest fee of $35: Virginia Lawyer Referral Service. That is the way to achieve the objective to which you alluded, namely working toward settling the matter. This would be done by his attorney approach the prosecutor to negotiate a plea bargain, the manner by which the majority of criminal cases are resolved.
I truly hope all works out for you. I know this is a lot to take in, so please do not hesitate to write back. After you select "Accept", our conversation need not end. I would be happy to continue our dialog, without further charge, until you are fully satisfied. I promise to check back periodically for any updated posts from you each time I return to this online venue.
Take care and thanks again for choosing JustAnswer®!
Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: LawInfoNow. Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.
Thanks for writing back -- good to hear from you.
You are quite welcome-- my pleasure to be of service.
I will be glad to comment further -- please see below.
Kindly just let me know if you are having any problem with submitting your acceptance of my answer. I would be glad to help out if so or ask our support team for assistance if needed.
QUESTION: "What do you think?"
ANSWER: Again, this is just my professional opinion based upon some 15 years of licensure as an attorney. I would not expect to see an entire dismissal of the charges. Rather, I would expect to see a negotiated plea bargain. Hopefully, I will be proved wrong, but realistically this is my honest assessment. What I can say with absolute certainty, however, is that each day your husband allows to pass without seeking legal counsel lessens his chances of seeing a favorable outcome. Time is truly a factor here. Only he can act.
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on JustAnswer are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. JustAnswer is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains.
The responses above are from individual Experts, not JustAnswer. The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credential of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service (last updated February 8, 2012).