RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

Hi, I got a pink slip court summons in NYC for public urination.

Customer Question

I got a pink slip court summons in NYC for public urination. My name is XXXXX XXXXX Noam to Noah, but its unclear and could possibly be incorrect. Do i need to respond to a summons with the wrong information and if I do; I am planning to be out of the country during the court appearance date, what is the best way to deal with this?
Thanks,
Noam
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I appreciate your patience while I researched and typed out your answer.

A slight scriverner error in the spelling of your name is XXXXX XXXXX to invalidate the summons. I can tell you that in over 10 years of being in court as a paregal, law clerk and now lawyer, I have only ever seen one ticket dismissed for such errors, and it was because just about everything except the officer's name was wrong on it.

As for your unavailability, I would suggest you contact the court immediately and explain you were issued a summons but already have plans to be out of the country at that time, have made your reservations, etc., and need to reschedule.

If you require additional information, press "REPLY" and I will be happy to assist you further.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience: Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I contacted the court and they suggest I write a letter to the judge stating why I will be out of the country on the court date listed on the pink slip. The summons does not specify a judge either. Do you have any suggestions as to the format of the letter and how I should address this anonymous judge?
Well, I'd call the court back tomorrow and see if it has been assigned to a judge yet, they may have a name.

If not you can just address it something like this:

Judge of the _________ court (whatever the criminal court is called)
Court address
City, State, Zip
Case #

Dear Your Honor:

I am writing you to respectfully request that my court appearance for my violation on a charge of public urination, presently scheduled for _________, 2012, be rescheduled. Unfortunately, I already have a previously scheduled trip out of the country for ______________ (whatever the reason is - business, family reuninion, etc). I have already booked plane tickets/hotel reservations and am unable to change it. I have attached a copy of my plane ticket for your records.

I would appreciate being informed of my new date and time to appear at the court's earliest convenience.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Your name.