FiveStarLaw
FiveStarLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

A few months ago my daughter age 20 helped her boyfriend get

A few months ago my daughter age 20 helped her boyfriend get out of jail on a 80K bond. He was dealing drugs, maybe 10 yr. sentence coming. The Bondsman accepted $3500 with a note for another $3500 from my daughter and another young girl from a wealthy family. No collateral on bond. My daughter and her boyfirend left FL and drove her car to his dad's in CO for a couple of months. They sold the car there.They stayed with his girlfriend. Last week my daughter called me. She wanted to come home. I arranged for a flight to my summer place in VA. We are there now but our primary res. is in FL. Soon after my daughter flew to VA the feds and bondsman picked up the boy and his dad in CO. I want to call the bondsman to take care of paying off the remaining $3500 note on the bond, but want to know what to watch out for. Can they subpeona my daughter to testify against her boyfriend in his trial in FL? Does she have to testify? Is she still in danger of being charged for any inter-state flight or aiding/ abedding her felon boyfirend if she had broken up and left him for home before the feds picked him up?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name isXXXXX shall do whatever I possibly can to provide you with helpful information about the law. Please keep in mind that, although I am a Florida attorney, I am prohibited from giving customers of the site legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship on this forum.

If at any time the information which I provide is not clear to you or does not fully answer your question, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

Your question: Can they subpeona my daughter to testify against her boyfriend in his trial in FL?
My answer: Yes. Your daughter may be considered a material witness in her former boyfriend's prosecution

Your question: Does she have to testify?
My answer: Yes if she is subpoenaed she will be required to testify. However she does have the right not to give testimony that may tend to incriminate her

Your question: Is she still in danger of being charged for any inter-state flight or aiding/ abedding her felon boyfirend if she had broken up and left him for home before the feds picked him up?
My answer: Yes it appears that she could still be charged with aiding and abetting. For this reason I suggest that you retain counsel to contact the bondsman to arrange for payment and to respond to any police inquiries

I think this is what you wanted to know. Please let me know if I have answered your question
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry for the delay in viewing your response. Amex called me to verify the charge and I was already back in the cabin. I have no Internet in VA. I have to travel i hour to the library to get online.

I have another question I forgot to ask.

Since my daughter had just turned 20 years old before the bondsman had her sign the bond contract, I was wondering if it's a leagally binding contract. Both she and the other 20 year old girl who signed the "note" for the remaining $3500 due to make up the 10% down required were 20 years old.

They had and put up NO collateral for the 5% remaining bond loan.

Don't you have to be 21 to sign a legal contract?

And, are both girls severally and individually on the hook for the whole $3500?

Also, when I retain an atty to speak with the bondsman, do I want a criminal atty? When you say she may still be in trouble legally for inter-state flight or audung and abedding, ...how can she be in trouble for inter-state flight if she was not in trouble with the law when she left FL???? And is it merely your opinion or s fact of law that she can be in trouble for aiding/abedding? What does the law say? Where can I look it up?

I will be leaving the library now and checking your reply in a day or two.

Thank you for your time.

No problem at all

18 is the age of majority in Florida. Age would not be a defense in this situation

I do not know without seeing the paperwork whether the 2 girls sign jointly and severally or individually guaranteed the payment. Typically a bondsman will require joint and several liability

You will want to retain a criminal attorney for your daughter. She can be charged with aiding and abetting if she assisted her boyfriend in leaving the State of Florida

FiveStarLaw, Lawyer
Experience: 25 years of experience helping people like you.