Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.

Taking a motorcycle trip across the country. I found myself

Taking a motorcycle trip across the country. I found myself at the New York/Canada Border. I had a Stun Gun in my Bag on my motorcycle, which in New York is Illegal (Did not know at the time). I forgot to claim a weapon because I really didn't think it was a weapon. When Border patrol searched my Bike they found the Stun Gun, Turned it over to State police & the State police arrested me for criminal possession. They are offering me 240.20 disorderly conduct. I'm not sure what effect this will have on my record and I'm Not sure what I should do.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nate replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Be sure to go ahead and bookmark for future questions. It's plain that you are guilty. It is long held that ignorance of the law is no excuse. However, because you evidently didn't know, they are offering you a reduced plea deal. Disorderly Conduct is a Violation, which is not even a misdemeanor. It's like a bad traffic ticket and is much better than possession of an illegal weapon. In a situation like this, I would tell my client to jump on their offer of Disorderly Conduct with both feet.