How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 33256
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was verbally threaten in front of another person. The individual

Resolved Question:

I was verbally threaten in front of another person. The individual said he was going to shoot up my house and he was going to do it at 2 AM. I called police and reported it immediately and showed the video security camera to police and gave them a copy; however it doesn't have voice, but shows my witness standing in the midst of conversation.
But investigating officer says nothing can be done other than warning this individual not to say such threats. What action can I take to have this individual pesecuted.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
You have done all that you can reasonably do, advising the police about it. You could contact the District/State Attorney's office for your county and advise that you want to pursue it but likely all they are going to do is tell you to file a police report. Contrary to what most people believe charges can only be filed by the police or the District attorney. A citizen can only file a report with the police and ask them to press charges, a citizen can't actually file the charges themselves.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B. and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions