RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

Are Brass Knuckles illegal in the state of Virginia? I am 20

Are Brass Knuckles illegal in the state of Virginia? I am 20 years old and will be 21 this friday. I would like Brass Knuckles strictly for defensive purposes. Are they illegal in the state of Virginia? What are the rules associated with Brass Knuckles?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I appreciate your patience while I researched and typed out your answer.

They are illegal to carry as a concealed weapon under Virigina Code 18.2-308, which makes the carrying of "metal knucks" or any weapon of like kind, guilty of a misdemeanor. While the law doesn't specifically address carrying them out in the open. doing so could get you charged with another crime, such as assault or menacing, if someone believes you have threatened them with them.

If you require additional information, press "REPLY" and I will be happy to assist you further.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will I be able to carry anything to defend myself out in the open?
Thank you for your reply.

No, you can't carry a weapon of any kind out in the open -even if you don't intend to do anything with it, you're inviting trouble because people obviously don't know what your intentions are.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When you say out in the open, does inside my pocket still count?