Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

I paid and received my car registration recently. If I loose

I paid and received my car registration recently. If I loose my car registration sticker for 2013, can police just look up that my registration was renewed? Or is there still a fine if I am caught without the sticker?

Thelawman2 :

What state?

Customer:

California

Thelawman2 :

If the year sticker for your currently registered vehicle has been lost, stolen, mutilated, or is illegible, you must request a replacement sticker and pay a substitute fee. Complete an Application for Replacement Plates, Stickers, Documents (REG 156) and submit it with the required fee to your local DMV; make an Appointment(s) for faster service; or you may mail the application to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 942869
Sacramento, CANNN-NN-NNNN/p>

You may obtain a replacement month sticker at no cost from your local DMV; make an Appointment(s) for faster service.

Customer:

hm

Customer:

my question is more what happens if they catch the car without a sticker?

Customer:

even if it is registered

Thelawman2 :

A person who fails to attach the proper stickers to their car can still get a ticket; however, the ticket can be challenged later in court and the person can ask the judge to drop the ticket after providing proof.

Customer:

Oh, so the police generally will not look up the car's registration in the DMV database before issuing the ticket?

Thelawman2 :

Police can call the DMV to look up records; however, they do not have to prior to issuing a ticket

Customer:

Ah, okay I would think they had a internet connection to the DMV database.

Customer:

Okay, well thanks for the answer!