Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

how do you press charges on someone for slander and harassment

how do you press charges on someone for slander and harassment via text and social network that is not in your state.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 4 years ago.

Thelawman2 :

YOU, as an individual, can NOT "press charges." Only the State's Attorney has the power to "press charges." What you can do is report the slander and harassment to the police or sheriff. Then they will take action on the report. The sooner the better, because after a while, the older the offense is, the more difficult it becomes to investigate, and there may be a suspicion about your motive in holding off reporting it, or that you purposely held off reporting it for some reason, or that it might even be false.

Thelawman2 :

What you need to do is contact the DE police and file the complaint in order to get the results you desire. Contacting the probation officer, while not pressing charges, might apply enough pressure to have it settled out of court

Customer:

I live in Florida so I should go through the DE police in her area?

Thelawman2 :

You can either contact the DE police for possibly quicker results or contact FL police, who then will coordinate with either local law enforcement in DE or the FBI.

Customer:

Is this an issue where I would need an attorney or is that not necessary?

Thelawman2 :

Contacting local police may be better because they may be more willing to protect a local rather than DE willing to protect an out-of-state citizen

Thelawman2 :

You should not need an attorney. After filing your report with the police, they should be able to take care of the rest.

Thelawman2 :

The only reason to contact an attorney is if the police were not taking you seriously; the attorney might be able to add extra pressure

Customer:

Is this a violation of probation since she should not engage in illegal activity:

Thelawman2 :

Yes, if she was found to be committing illegal activity, then she would be in violation of her probation

Customer:

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

Thelawman2 :

Please leave positive feedback if you thought my answers were helpful