RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

What kind of a job can a person get who has a theft charge

What kind of a job can a person get who has a theft charge?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I will start by saying that, because the nuances of every case are different, you should not rely on this information as advice or apply it to a specific situation without a more thorough consultation with counsel.

There are no legal restrictions on the types of jobs you can get with a theft charge, you can apply for anything. Employers where your job would involve handling money, such as a bank teller or even cashier, would be less likely to consider you with a theft charge, due to potential risk, so consider moving those positions to the bottom of your list. Honestly, the thing hurting you the most right now, in my opinion, is the weak economy in Florida. With unemployment over 9%, there are a lot of people out of work, so even jobs like receptionist or cashier can have hundreds of applicants, and it's easier to weed out people for having a blemish on their employment history, like a criminal charge. Ultimately, it's a numbers game - the last law firm job I got, I had to send out 1,500 resumes before I was hired.