Legal-Guru, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Criminal Trial Attorney since 1998.

Im due in court on 4-4-12 for a 484[a] PC. I already paided

Im due in court on 4-4-12 for a 484[a] PC. I already paided $350 to Home Depots attorneys. I know I still have to appear . Should I go with the public defender that is appointed by the court and hope for the best.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal-Guru replied 4 years ago.
The prosecutor's offer on a shoplifting is going to be pretty standard. It will probably include a fine and possibly a term of probation and/or community service.

I would not hesitate to use a public defender, but you have to qualify for one first. You will have to show the court that you are indigent in order to qualify for a public defender. If you can afford an attorney, I would go meet with one today or tomorrow about representing you.

If not, go to court and see what they offer you in exchange for a guilty plea. If your not comfortable with it, you can plea not guilty and get a new court date which will give you time to hire an attorney and/or apply for a public defender.