Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney experienced in criminal matters, having represented hundreds of clients with every misdemeanor and felony imaginable.

ra - jdd

Customer Question

Son shot in drive by Feb 12 12. He lives and we applied for Crime Victim Compensation to help with the medical etc. Cop said we were uncooperative and didn't deserve it. He keepstrying to coerce my son into saying he did it to himself or his friend that was with himdid it. Neither had guns. What can we do to go over this cop?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

Michael J, Esq. :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your criminal problem today.

Michael J, Esq. :

Is the Crime Victim Compensation run by the police department? Or, is in a separate entity?

Customer :

By texas attorney General who relys on the information the cops give and ourstatement. He won'taccept our statemetn or the other boys because they have previous records.

Michael J, Esq. :

Thank you. Unfortunately, if the Attorney General runs the program and they won't accept the statement, there isn't anyone higher to go to. They have the control over the program and who they accept and who they don't, unfortunately.

Michael J, Esq. :

However, at the local level, your remedy to "go over the cop" would be to contact the chief of police and attempt to have him take your report directly. If he believes your son, a report from him may hold more weight with the Attorney General than a report from a regular beat officer.