Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney experienced in criminal matters, having represented hundreds of clients with every misdemeanor and felony imaginable.
18210975

I am a member of a volunteer, 501C3 organization in NC. We

I am a member of a volunteer, 501C3 organization in NC. We have a past member who filed a complaint with the EEOC of age and disability discrimination in September 2010. At the same time, the past member sent an email to the Board of Directors in which he states, "so to let the department avoid a trial by jury, I am giving you a chance to settle and negotiate with me", and proceeds to ask for the sum of $750,000 for demage to his name, and paid and suffering. His last sentence in the email was "as a matter of record, if we can come to a settlement without EEOC or legal matters, the settlement would be sealed and not to be open, discussed by myself to any person, media, or other means of communication" His complaint with the EEOC has just been dismissed. Is his demand of $750,000 extortion?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

Michael J, Esq. :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your criminal problem today.

Michael J, Esq. :

Hold on one moment.

Michael J, Esq. :

No, this would not be extortion.

Michael J, Esq. :

Settlment negotiations are not legal extortion, although it may seem like that at times.

Customer:

It seems like his attempt to force payment has to be illegal somehow.

Customer:

My organization is not looking to sue or for any compensation, is this a matter we should discuss with our local D.A.?

Michael J, Esq. :

I understand that it may seem like that. However, he has filed a complaint and is authorized by law to discuss settlment.

Michael J, Esq. :

You wouldn't need to discuss with the DA unless you wanted to file charges.

Customer:

Okay, thank you for your time and input.

Michael J, Esq. :

No problem!

Michael J, Esq. :

Thank you for letting me assist you with your question. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask them. If not, and you valued my time, please consider clicking ACCEPT so that I get credit for my Answer. I appreciate it!

Take care!

Michael