Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

What is the exact law that states any resident has the right

Customer Question

What is the exact law that states any resident has the right to revoke concent for an officer to enter the home, even when they have already entered.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
It is not an "exact law" it is the Fourth Amendment that guarantees protection from unreasonable search and seizure. The U.S. Supreme Court, on a number of occasions, has stated that an individual may limit the scope of a consent to search by the terms of the authorization. One of the most obvious ways that an individual may limit the consent to a search is by revoking the consent or by asking the officers to stop their search. See: United States v. Bily and US v. Ho.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT and/or the HAPPY SMILEY FACE button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”