Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney experienced in criminal matters, having represented hundreds of clients with every misdemeanor and felony imaginable.
18210975

Tewnty six years ago I was charged with conspiracy to theft,

Tewnty six years ago I was charged with conspiracy to theft, a felony. I was told by my lawyer the charges were dropped. The lawyer is now dead. The case never went to court. I have never heard any more about the case. I recently tried to purchase a handgun, but was denied because of my record. Can anything be done to legally purchase a handgun in Tennessee?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

Michael J, Esq. :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your criminal problem today.

Michael J, Esq. :

Is a conviction showing on your record? Or is it just the record of the arrest and dismissal>?

Customer:

No conviction. I was never tried in a court. There is no paper record at the courthouse in the clerks office, however there is a record in the TBI files.

Michael J, Esq. :

Thank you. Hold one moment.

Michael J, Esq. :

Tennessee's requirements for owning a handgun include not being convicted of a felony and not currently being under indictment for a felony. You can rfead more about the requirements here. Because you were not convicted and are not currently indicted, I don't see why you would have been denied based on your record. An old arrest record should not disqualify you.

Michael J, Esq. :

The only thing I could imagine is that the case still reads "Pending" because someone messed up and never changed it.

Michael J, Esq. :

In that case, you would need to contact local counsel to have the arrest record expunged. This would clear the record completely.

Customer:

This is 26 years old... how do I go about getting this cleared from my record. By the way, my lawyer went on to become judge, but has since died.

Customer:

Thank you for your time.

Michael J, Esq. :

An expunction would really be the only way.

Michael J, Esq. :

Okay great, glad I could be of service.

Customer:

How hard is this to get accomplished?

Michael J, Esq. :

It really depends on what the record actually says. If it is still pending, it may be as easy as someone (your attorney) making a phone call to the Court to help it get updated.

Michael J, Esq. :

A local attorney should be able to tell you precisely what it will take.

Customer:

Thank you once again.

Michael J, Esq. :

Thank you for letting me assist you with your question. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask them. If not, and you valued my time, please consider clicking ACCEPT so that I get credit for my Answer. I appreciate it!

Take care!

Michael

Customer:

Good day.

Michael J, Esq. :

You too.