Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

ra - mjs

Customer Question

I resently was aquitted of a pot possession charge (felony) but as an afterthought right before the jury went out, the prosecuter ask for a mistimeanor pot conviction and got it. Right now I'm in appeal for the mistimeanor but the judge told me I can't leave the 48 states and wouldn't let me out of jail unless i surrendered my pass port. I told the pass port people what had happened and they sent me another pass port and said the county judge couldn't do that. (no Jurisdiction) My question is that if I left the country, could the county judge throw me back in jail for not staying in the 48 states?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
What passport people told you that? I assume you are not a U.S. Citizen? What country are you from?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i am us citizen with us passport. My case was in OKlahoma and I live in Florida,
Ok. Let me transfer your question to our criminal law forum since your question ended up in our U.S. immigration law forum. Thank you for your patience.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Yes, while the court cannot revoke a foreign passport as they could a US passport, they can indeed impose a restriction on you leaving the US while on probation and this is something your attorney needs to negotiate with the court based on your foreign citizenship status. If you leave without court approval it would be considered a probation violation and would result in a warrant being issued for your arrest and you could be sentenced to the entire original sentence for the probation violation and could also be charged with flight to avoid prosecution or escape and face an additional felony sentence.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT and/or the HAPPY SMILEY FACE button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”